RENTING A VEHICLE
When you make a reservation, rent a vehicle or join one of our programs such as a corporate programme or our loyalty scheme, we collect information to provide you with our great services (for example, renting a vehicle, including performing the vehicle rental contract as set out in our General Conditions of Rental, Location Specific Conditions and Rental Agreement, providing any requested optional extras, taking payment, pre-authorisations and security deposits and providing discounts and offers or other benefits) and for our legitimate business interests (for example research and development of new products and services, undertaking fraud and security checks and enforcing our legal rights). The information we collect includes:
- email address (if you are booking online or wish to receive e-receipts);
- home address (for license validation and billing);
- employer details and business address (if you are a member of a corporate program);
- telephone numbers at which we can reach you;
- date of birth (for license validation and legal requirements);
- gender (for license validation);
- payment information such as your credit or debit card details (security code is obtained for transaction only – we do not keep it);
- tax number (if specifically requested);
- information from driver’s licence and/or other government issued identification, including if you are an additional driver for the specific rental (for license validation and legal requirements);
- information from another form of identification documentation such as passport or national identity card if your driver’s licence does not include a photo or is not recognisable as you and/or proof of address such as a utility bill (for security and anti-fraud purposes). The information we collect and retain will only include your photo ID where you are informed of this;
- special discount codes, partner member numbers, association memberships, corporate rewards programs (if you request discounts, special privileges and points programs);
- special requests and preferences, including:
- your preferences regarding optional extras such as damage waivers and other protections;
- where a delivery or collection service is available, the address where we will drop off or pick-up the vehicle and any optional extras you requested; and
- other information that may be required to rent you a vehicle and/or provide you with services.
Some vehicles come equipped with a global positioning system (GPS) or similar type tracking device that may also collect information about the vehicle. To learn about vehicle data we collect, scroll down to read about Vehicle Data.
If you have an accident, or suffer any loss, theft or damage to the vehicle during your rental or suffer any mechanical failure, we will collect information regarding such incident including your report of the incident and any police or other third party report including details of those involved, together with the nature of any personal injuries and/or damage to the vehicle and optional extras. We will use this information to perform our contract with you (for example, the vehicle rental agreement and/or the terms of any optional extra like insurance); for our legitimate business interests (for example, in recovering the costs of any loss or damage caused to the vehicle); for complying with any legal obligation on us (for example, making any required notification of the incident to appropriate authorities); and establishing, exercising or defending legal claims arising as a result of such incident.
During your rental we will collect where and when you rented the vehicle, where and when you returned the vehicle, insurance preferences, fuel consumption, mileage, accident history and other information related to the vehicle and your use of it. This information is required in order to provide you with the services you requested under the rental contract or for our legitimate business interests (for example to monitor the usage of our vehicle fleet).
In addition to the purposes listed above, we use this information to better understand our customers and provide you with relevant offers.
We will also collect information about any speeding, parking, toll or other traffic-related fines that you incur or any traffic offences that you commit during your rental where these are provided to us by any law enforcement agency. We will use this information to deal with such fine or offence in accordance with the terms of your vehicle rental agreement with us.
Where you inform us that you have a medical disability that requires an adapted vehicle or other driver aid we will use that information in order to provide you with the service you requested and where you have given your explicit consent to us using that information.
When you call us (from any phone), we may record or monitor the call for quality control, training or similar purposes.
When you purchase a gift certificate or voucher, we collect the name and mailing address of the gift recipient in order to fulfill your order. We will only use this information for the specific reason for which it is provided. If you believe that one of your contacts has provided us with your personal information and you would like to request that it be removed from our database, please contact our customer service at the details set out in the Data Controllers and Contact Details section below.